The island of Murter

The island of Murter is the largest island of Sibenik archipelago. It spreads out parallel with the coast between Sibenik and Zadar. It belongs to north-Dalmatian group of islands, the most numerous group of islands at Adriatic and more. Road distance from Sibenik is 30 km, from Zadar 65 km, and from Split 105 km. At Zadar and Split there are 2 closest airports. The largest sites on island are: Murter, Betina, Tisno and Jezera.

murter1murter2murter3murter4

At place Tisno with movable bridge it is contacted with coast. It was populated with old Ilires already in prehistoric. For the first time it has been mentioned by Greek philosoph Ptolomej under the name of Scardon. Under Croatian name Srimac it is mentioned in 1251 when Hungarian - Croatian king Bela proclaim borders of Sibenik community. In that time on the island exist only two settlements: Veliko Selo (Murter today) and Jezera, while Betina and Tisno develop in later centuries at the time of retreat of domestic people under Turks attacks. Today all places are connected with asphalt roads.

Murter is situated in the belt of temporary worm or Mediterranean clime. Characteristics of this clime are warm and dry summers, kind and wet winters. The warmest month is August with middle temperature of 24.7°C, and the coldest is January with middle temperature of 6.3°C. Average temperature of the sea at summer is 23.7°C.
Murter area has 2698 sunny hours per year. Wind that is mostly often at this area at summer is maestral - west wind (70-90 % of totally windiness) that with its activity soothe summer heat. Most of the island is covered with centuries olive and fig trees which are main traditional cultures that domestic people cultivate. Except agriculture, interest of the residents was fishing and stock-breeding. In modern time, because of natural potentials, tourism becomes economical engine of progress. 

Murter (city) 

Murter is tourist city situated on the same name island 30 km away from Sibenik. Specially valuable archaeological founds of old roman settlement Colentum on the hill Gradina testifies about attractively of position of this oldest settlement on the island, situated on fertile land between bays Slanica and Hramina.
Like in the every place on the island, many inhabitants arise in 16 and 17 ct. because of immigrants from the land under Turks attacks. Place develops fast, so in Murter 1866 opens first country reading club at the area of whole Dalmatia. Yet 1877 opens first school and post office.
Of sacral monuments should be mentioned chapel of St. Roko from 1760, church of St. Mihovil reconstructed 1770, and church of Lady of Gradina.
Traditional jobs of inhabitants of Murter trough centuries are stock breeding and agriculture, and seafaring and fishing. Except on the same island all those activities residents of Murter expends to near Kornati islands which in last centuries, together with residents of Betina, they bought from aristocratic of Zadar - move that will show crucial for modern development of Murter into pne of very attractive tourist destinations.

Additional information